Section Editor, NeighborsGo (July 2013 – present)
A community publication of The Dallas Morning News
- Covering the Rockwall-Rowlett area for the weekly NeighborsGo section and contributing county briefs for The Dallas Morning News’ Metro section.
- Working with contributor- and reader-submitted content for the NeighborsGo editions.
Reporter, The Daily Voice (May 2011 – July 2013)
A hyperlocal news company, formerly Main Street Connect
- Helped launch news sites from scratch in Westchester County, N.Y.
- Covered several communities in Westchester County, New York through text, photos, videos and maps for The Tarrytown Daily Voice, The Pleasantville Daily Voice, The Mount Pleasant Daily Voice and, formerly, The Greenburgh Daily Voice.
- Built audiences on Facebook and Twitter for both sites.
- Engaged readers and developed reader-submitted content for sites.
The Daily Campus (September 2007 – May 2011)
Student Newspaper at Southern Methodist University
- Positions held: Editor in Chief, Online Editor, Senior Staff Writer, News Editor, Staff Writer
- Editor in Chief for newspaper during year the paper was awarded First in Overall Excellence from the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association
- Redesigned website; Created and maintained Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr
- Extensive coverage of Student Senate through print stories, blogging and live-blogging weekly meeting
- Extensive experience in designing pages, managing staff of 20 people and general newspaper production
Intern, Park Cities People (January 2011 – May 2011)
Newspaper serving the Park Cities area of Dallas (Highland Park and University Park are incorporated towns surrounded by the city of Dallas)
- Worked on the 30th anniversary series “30 Years, 30 Stories” by going through the archives, researching the people from those years and writing feature stories
- Assisted editors with research on various stories
Intern, The Dallas Morning News (August 2010 – December 2010)
News outlet serving the Dallas-Fort Worth area
- Covered local breaking stories for Metro section’s continuous news desk, including one murder trial
- Shot video and photographs in addition to print and web stories
The Daily Update (Fall 2008; August 2009 – December 2009)
SMU-TV’s weekday student-run news program
- Served as writer, producer, director, anchor, camera, technical director, CG operator, teleprompter, StillStore operator with a 6 a.m. crew call time
- Produced weekly news reports
- Audio/Video Production: Final Cut Pro, SoundSlides, GarageBand, comfortable with iMovie
- Content Management Systems: WordPress, Polopoly, Blogger
- Computer Skills: comfortable with Photoshop and InDesign, Excel, Picasa
- Other: CoverItLive, Storify, Google Fusion Tables, ManyEyes
Organizations and Awards
- SPJ 2012 First Amendment Award as part of a joint effort between The Daily Campus, SMU Daily Mustang and SMU’s Technology Reporting Class for the 2011 Light of Day Project.
- First Place, In-Depth Reporting Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Award for work in a joint effort between The Daily Campus, SMU Daily Mustang and SMU’s Technology Reporting Class for the 2011 Light of Day Project.
- SPJ 2011 First Amendment Award Finalist, along with four others, for writing and editing the “Hidden on the Hilltop: SMU’s Culture of Secrecy” series featured in The Daily Campus.
Liberal arts university in Dallas, Texas.
- Attended: August 2007-May 2011
- Degree: B.A. in journalism with a political science minor